Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bracelet Dream

In my deepest sleep, I drive to the jewery store to bring a bracelet that I found in my mother's jewelry box. It is beautiful, but broken. As I walk in, I see the jeweler, but a more curious sight behind him. There is a darker shadow, just behind him. As I draw closer, I realize that this is the shadowy image of my mother. I pull out the bracelet to be repaired, and it has transformed into something completely different than what I brought in. My mother's shadow leans in over his shoulder to take a closer look. I can't understand why she is here. I look down at the hand beaded squares of the bracelet and they are no longer there, but replaced by several brilliant diamonds and dirty and scratched squares. I look to my mother and ask her clearly in my mind,"What are these ?", in disbelief of how drastically the piece of jewelry has changed. She calmly replied to me in such a quiet and sad voice. "The first jewel is the day I married your father." The first diamond is followed by several of the ugly squares. "The jewel here is the day you were born, and the jewel in this spot is the day of your brother's birth." She continued on as she did not speak of the squares that are deeply damaged. I follow along the bracelet and there are 3 diamonds in a different formation, lined up side by side in a horizontal fashion. "These are the days the grandchildren were born." I looked at the bracelet again. There were no more diamonds, just squares of damage.. I looked up and all that I saw in her shadow were her eyes. I will always remember her eyes. How sad they were. There was a longing in them that I suddenly understood. They faded, and the shadow was gone. I was standing alone, everything disappeared around me. I was left with the thought that she had just told me her life story through the bracelet.

No comments:

Hope

Hope

About Me

My photo
Atwater, CA, United States
I am a child of God, a follower of Jesus Christ, a wife, a mom. I pray. I love. I hate lies.I hope to make a difference in some way to someone in this world