Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Remembering Hazel on Memorial Day....A Military Wife and Life Well Lived.

On Memorial Day, it is right and good to remember those who have lost their lives defending our country. This morning as I was thinking about all those who have sacrificed, I thought of an often unmentioned group who also sacrificed so much, the Military Spouse. Hazel Pillsbury was a woman who married a "flyboy" in the 50's. She was a devoted wife, mother, friend, and adopted mom and grandma to many. She spent many hours as the wife of a B-52 navigator...often gone for days and weeks to serve his country.She adored Fred, and even though it was not easy, she created a home that nurtured her daughters and their friends, and welcomed him home from time away from his family. I often think it is difficult to be in charge of everything while your husband is gone, and then readjust to a husband coming home and giving half the reigns back over, but it is something she had to learn how to do, as every military spouse does. How difficult it must be to kiss them goodbye, with a thought in the back of your mind that it might be the last. Yet, Hazel always tried to see the good side of life. She was devoted to God, Family, and Country, in that exact order, and knew that she played a very important part in sacrificing for her country. She knew how, by putting God and family first, and supporting Fred always. Hazel had the kind of spunk that I adored. Always a smile,sometimes a furrowed brow. I would like to say she was lovingly opinionated. When Fred retired and the girls left home,she took on different roles.Crazy about her grandchildren, always a gift of love to those who knew her as Ma P or Grandma Hazel. She had open arms for my children, and she filled a void for me as a "mom" who loved me just the way I was, while gently reminding me where my priorties needed to be. She always had an open door for tea on a day that was difficult. Hazel fought one battle.The battle of breast cancer, which she fought as much as any soldier on the field would. In her courage and brave spirit, I found even more inspiration in this beautiful, spunky woman than anyone I have ever known. One might say she lost the battle 8 years ago this June. I would say she was victorious in all things, loving, living, sacrifice and duty. I know that God welcomed her as she entered His arms with the words ,"Well done, good and faithful servant." I love and miss you Hazel, but I know your battle has been won. May God give an extra dose of strength and courage and love and Light to all the Military wives I am honored to know.

No comments:

Hope

Hope

About Me

My photo
Atwater, CA, United States
I am a child of God, a follower of Jesus Christ, a wife, a mom. I pray. I love. I hate lies.I hope to make a difference in some way to someone in this world